Getting Ready for Christmas: Orange & 5 Spice Glazed Ham
Christmas is near, can you believe it! In the midst of the festive frenzy don't forget to place an order for a beautiful double-smoked Christmas ham at the Gotzinger Deli. Do you have a tried-and-tested family recipe for glaze? Macadamias, maple, marmalade... we look forward to trying a new glaze every Christmas! If you're after a bit of inspiration, here's one of our favourites:
Orange & 5 Spice Glazed HamIngredients
- 7kg whole smoked leg ham, on the bone
- 500ml (2 cups) fresh squeezed orange juice
- Whole cloves, to stud
- 125g (3/4 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 170g (1/2 cup) orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Place an oven shelf in the lowest position and remove other shelves. Preheat oven to 170°C. Use a small sharp knife to cut around the shank in a zigzag pattern, about 10cm from the end. Carefully run the knife under the rind around the edge of the ham. Gently lift rind off by running your fingers between the rind and the fat. Score fat in a diamond pattern, about 5mm deep. Stud centres of diamonds with cloves.
- Combine the sugar, marmalade, Chinese five spice and mustard in a bowl until smooth. Place the ham, fat-side-up, in a large baking dish. Pour the orange juice into the dish. Brush one-third of the glaze over the ham.
- Bake the ham for 30 minutes. Brush with half the remaining glaze. Bake, brushing once with remaining glaze, for a further 1 1/4 hours or until ham is cooked through and the surface is sticky and golden. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest before carving.
Put your orders in at Gotzinger Deli for a Gotzinger Christmas Ham. Call (07) 5549 2105.