German Bratwurst Sausages (Sliced in 1.5cm) size pieces – 1 pack (4 sausages)
- Puff Pastry – 1-3 sheets (depending on size and shape of your casserole dish)
- Mushrooms (Sliced) – 360g
- Brown Onion (Finely Sliced) – 1
- Garlic Cloves (Finely Sliced) – 2
- Cooking Cream – 170ml
- Butter – 40g
- Egg Yolks – 2 (Beaten)
- Flour – 2 tbl spoon
- Vegetable Stock – 180ml
- Thyme (Picked) – 1tspoon
- Rosemary (Picked) – 1tspoon
- Lemon juice – squeeze of half a lemon
- Pepper - generous seasoning
Set oven to 180°
- Melt butter in a large and shallow casserole dish on the stove top.
- Sauté onion and garlic in the butter on a low heat until the onion is translucent.
- Increase heat slightly and add the German Bratwurst – cooking until lightly brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms, herbs and pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the stock and a squeeze of half a lemon.
- Add the cooking cream and stir through well.
- Mix the flour with a quarter cup of water until it is smooth. Add this to the dish, stir thoroughly to combine and the sauce will thicken over the heat (this will take a couple of minutes).
- Turn off heat allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the pastry lid, brushing lightly with egg yolk, then bake the pie for approximately 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.