- Olive oil – 1tb sp.
- Brown onion (small diced) – 1
- Garlic cloves (fine minced) – 2
- Fresh rosemary (picked off the stem) – 2 sprigs
- Gotzinger’s American Rindless Bacon (diced) – 200g
- Pork and beef mince – 500g
- Ground black pepper – to season
- Tomato paste – 3tb sp.
- Red wine – 1 cup (250ml)
- Can of diced tomatoes – 1 (400g)
- Beef stock – 1L
- Dried bay leaves – 2
- Salt – to season
- Rigatoni – 500g
- Thickening cream – ½ cup (125ml)
- Parsley (finely chopped) – 1 bunch
- Parmesan (finely grated) – to serve
- In a large pot heat the olive oil to a medium heat, then add the onion and garlic – cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the rosemary and bacon and cook until the bacon has gone slightly crispy.
- Add the mince to the pot and break apart. Season with black pepper and cook until the meat is all coloured and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir through the tomato paste to coat the meat, then allow to cook for a few minutes until it start catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the red wine to deglaze the pan, and using the spoon scrape off the parts which had started to catch on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the can of tomatoes, followed by the beef stock and bay leaves.
- Allow for the ragu to reduce on a simmer for 1-1.5 hours until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Bring a pot of seasoned water to the boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente.