- Baby white potatoes (peeled) – 1kg
- Salt – to season
- Butter (in cubes) – 70g
- Gotzinger American Rindless Bacon (diced) – 200g
- Kale (stem removed and shredded) – 140g
- Milk (hot) – 1 cup (250ml)
- Cracked black pepper – to season
- Gotzinger Rookworst – 1
- Put the potatoes in pot and add cold water, season with salt and bring to the boil. Cook until the potatoes are cooked through then drain and allow for any moisture to evaporate.
- Add 20g of butter to a pan, allow for it to melt before adding the bacon. The bacon will crisp and release fat in the pan.
- Put the potatoes back in the empty pot and mash with a potato masher.
- Add the crispy bacon along with all the oil and fat from the pan and the extra cubes of butter and fold through the potato.
- Place the pot back on the stove on a low heat and then incrementally stir through the kale and hot milk.
- Season with black pepper.
- Put a pot of water on the stove and bring to a simmer. Add the Rookworst to the pot and cook for 15 minutes.
- To serve, remove the Rookworst from the pot of water then slice and serve on top of a bed of the mashed potato.